Marketing horrors SMEs need to avoid in their marketing
Here are some ‘bone chilling’ marketing errors many small businesses are making along with some ‘spooktacular’ ways to boost your marketing this Halloween.
1. You treat marketing as a tick box exercise. You have a website, you put out a new blog once a month. You post regularly on Facebook and Instagram but lack clear direction and planning. A thought-out strategy with activity schedule will ensure you are regularly and consistently reaching the right audience in the right place at the right time with the right message.
3. You focus purely on your product or services features and neglect the benefits. It is important to think about our customers pain points, their challenges and the problem your service or product solves to create the messages that reaches the heart of your customers emotions.
4. You have a one size fits all approach. Generic messaging may not be as effective as it could be. Identifying and targeting each of your specific customer segments with messages tailored to each of your segments needs will yield better results.
5. You copy your competitors marketing and assume their marketing must be working. Without a clear strategy and plan of action behind your marketing activity you could end up wasting time and money.
6. Your SEO oversights are leaving you ghosted. If you make the scary mistake of going overboard and throwing in too many keywords in your content the google spiders will penalise you if you have content with keyword density that is higher than 1-2%. Google doesn’t like manipulation and when your content is caught you will be punished.
A trick with a treat often overlooked is the importance of a Google MyBusiness presence for local business marketing. This has Google maps integration and is a great way to be picked up in local searches . Without it your business may be destined to be invisible.
Creating good quality inbound links from high-ranking sites with optimised content and an intuitive website architecture are all great ways to get seen online.
7. You have no budget and don’t track marketing spend. Money vampires will suck your wallet dry if you are not careful. It is frighteningly tempting to be swayed by blood thirsty salespeople selling anything and everything from sponsorship to online ads. Always track the effectiveness of your marketing and consider if it is the best use of your hard earnt cash against all the options available.
Marketing Superpower offers practical, strategic marketing for small business owners. If you would like to superpower your marketing you can find out more on www.marketingsuperpower.co.uk or get in contact firstname.lastname@example.org.